Eastern Africa News Network

Terror alert? Kenya Airways plane in UK trouble

Security organs are still searching the Kenya Airways plane which was flying from Nairobi to Heathrow before being intercepted by the Royal Airforce fighters and diverted to Stansted Airport.

The incident followed some reports on potential security threats.

A London Stansted Airport release is to the effect that the Kenya Airways Boeing 787 “landed safely with Essex Police in attendance and was escorted to a remote parking stand with normal flight operations now continuing.”

The Royal Air Force quick reaction alert (QRA) team mobilized to intercept a Kenya Airways Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner as it was flying from Nairobi to London Heathrow before the RAF Typhoons arrived on the scene.

The plane has vacated the site’s Runway 22, according to Aviation Source News.

There have been unconfirmed reports of bomb disposal units on their way to assist on the ground.

Stansted is the designated airport for dealing with security issues in the United Kingdom.

The facility’s proximity to key RAF bases allows key resources to be swiftly deployed while the size of the location enables potential risks to be isolated from other areas.

According to Flightradar24 data, the 787 departed the capital of Kenya at 09:18 local time, after a 13-minute delay.

The aircraft was flying at 17,000 over the English Channel before descending as it traveled north along the east coast of Kent.

The aircraft continued to descend along the North Sea coast and began flying over Essex. The twinjet continued its descent onto Stansted, arriving at its designated stand by 14:52 local time.

Operations at Stansted were initially paused, with lines beginning to form as the situation unfolded. However, flights have now resumed, and Essex police has shared that it is investigating the situation.

The aircraft, which was en route from Nairobi to London Heathrow, landed safely and was escorted to a remote stand with Essex Police in attendance. The incident has been stood down and the airport is open and flights are operating as normal.